I love chicken wings, especially the spicy, burn your mouth kind of wings. I got this recipe online from Carls Bad Cravings.
I made this for my brother-in-laws birthday BBQ and those who tried it loved it. I could of had mine spicier but others said it was just right :) It was my first time making blue cheese dipping sauce and I loved it. It is an acquired taste but definitely give it a go, the more you eat it, the more you’ll love it – trust me.
While writting this up…I could devour some right now! Drool….
2 kgs chicken wings, rinsed under cold water and pat dry
1 cup of Franks Hot Sauce (from Woolworths or Coles)
1 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp butter
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground celery seed
Blue Cheese Sauce:
150 g blue cheese (such as castello)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp buttermilk
squeeze of lemon juice, to taste
salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200° and line a tray (or two) with baking paper.
2. In a medium size bowl, mix together the dry rub ingredients. In a large bowl (might need to do this in two batches) add the dry rub and the chicken wings, using your hands, tossing to coat the wings evenly.
3. Line the wings on the tray and bake on a middle rack for 45-50 minutes or until cooked, turning once until crispy and evenly browned. (Alternatively, cook on a BBQ).
4. While the wings are cooking, combine all the blue cheese sauce ingredients into a food processor and blitz until combined. Pop back into the fridge until ready to use.
5. While wings are cooling, melt butter over medium heat and add remaining sauce ingredients, bring to a boil and stir occasionally. Reduce to a simmer until slightly thickened, roughly 3-5 minutes.
6. When chicken is done, add to a large serving bowl or platter and pour over sauce. Gently toss wings with a spatula until evenly coated. Devour this delicious spicy wings – Enjoy!