My Nanna, hands down, makes the best polish potato salad and this reminds me of her. I’ve had this recipe for quite some time and wanted to try it.
I bought some delicious fresh beetroot from the organic shop on Saturday and this was the dish I had in mind to make. Took a little time to prep. A lot of boiling and chopping, but definitely worth it. Next time I might add some carrot and fresh dill.
Recipe: altered from ‘A Good Egg’ by Genevieve Taylor
*If you don’t have time to do the beetroot, you could always try tinned beetroot (300g). If your preparing this ahead of time, leave the beetroot out until you are serving the salad, as the beetroot does bleed it’s colour. But totally up to you!
3 medium raw beetroot
600 g waxy potatoes (I used Desiree)
100 g frozen peas
3 tbsp crème fraîche
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, crushed
juice of 1/2- 1 lemon
small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1. Wash the beetroot gently, under cold running water. Make sure you do not pierce the skin otherwise the beetroot will bleed when it is boiled. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil, turn heat down and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Once they are tender, drain and cool. When they are cool enough to handle, peel the skin and dice into 1 cm cubes. *you can wear gloves if you don’t want your hands and fingers to stain pink.
2. Put the whole potatoes (unpeeled) in a pot, cover with cold water, add good pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until cooked, about 10-15 minutes (depending on the size). Once cooked, drain and cool. When the are cool enough, peel and dice into 1 cm cubes.
3. Put the eggs into a small pot and cover with cold water. Boil for 8 minutes and rinse under cold water and set aside to cool.
3. Put the peas into a bowl and cover with boiling water and leave for 5 minutes or so until the are cooked. Set aside.
4. Make the dressing in a large bowl (big enough to fit everything in) add crème fraîche, mayonnaise, garlic and most of the parsley. Stir and season to taste with lemon juice and salt and pepper.
5. Peel the egg and chop into roughly 1 cm pieces. Add the peas, potato and beetroot to the dressing and fold gently making sure it’s all coasted and combined. Top with egg and remaing parsley. Enjoy!by