There’s a little twist to this spanikopita pie. I have actually made this recipe before with silverbeet and made it into a log shape, but I wanted to be a bit fancier and make a pie! This pie can be frozen and pulled out and heated in the oven for those lazy nights when your tired or have nothing to cook. Big hit with my family and I’ll definitely be making this again :)
Recipe from: Annabel Langbein with a few alterations
1 x packet of frozen spinach, defrosted
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 cup ricotta
¾ cup feta, crumbled
½ cup grated parmesan
¼ cup chopped coriander
½ tsp ground nutmeg
finely grated zest of ½ lemon
1/3 cup pinenuts, toasted
salt & pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
6 sheets filo pastry
melted butter (roughly 50 g)
1. Preheat oven to 180°. Heat a little oil in a medium fry pan and cook the onion over a low heat until it is soft but not browned – about 5 minutes and set aside to cool. In the meantime, squeeze any liquid out from the spinach otherwise the filo will go soggy!
2. Mix the ricotta, feta, parmesan, coriander, nutmeg, lemon zest, spinach, onion and pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the egg.
3. Using a 23 cm loose-bottom round baking tin ( I used a quiche tin) and line with baking paper. Now using filo pastry, it can dry and crack quick so you have to work fast, get yourself organised! Lay the filo on the bench and cover with a wet tea towel to stop it from drying out. Melt your butter and now your ready to layer the filo pie.
4. Layer the first sheet, applying liberally with butter, allowing half the filo sheet to hang over the side. Do this with each sheet but let a little of the of the filo over lap and make your way around the round tin.
5. Fill the pie with the spinach filling and start to fold over each filo sheet, making sure the spinach mixture is all covered. Brush more butter on top and sprinkle with poppy seeds (or sesame seeds). Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the filo is nice a golden. Remove and let it cool for 10 minutes. Serve with a side salad – Enjoy! :)by